After riding the Quetzal with the aerobars, I started thinking about converting the Fuego from its original tiller bars. This is how it used to look:
The tiller works great and is amazingly adjustable, but I discovered that aero bars are much more suited to keeping the chest open and the upper torso muscles relaxed, as well as providing more sensitive steering inputs. They put your hands at a much more natural angle too. So I ordered a set of aero bars and a stem extender to give the space on the stem necessary for the aero bars to fit. It fits almost perfectly without any need to add stack washers.
However I had forgotten that the cables are routed through the tiller bar itself, so I had to dismantle the hydraulic brake lines to get the cables out the tiller. I have now connected them back up but will no doubt have a job to do to get them working properly again. They were needing bled anyway!
So far I’ve got the bars on, got them into roughly the right position and got the brake and gear units back on.
I still need to wire up the derailleurs again, and bleed both brake lines and get them working properly. Then I have to figure out how best to tidy away all the cables. I didn’t use any new cables – it looks like I might get away with the lengths of the existing ones. Here’s hoping!
Lastly, I need some new bar grips, and a new mirror. The last one attached to the end of the tiller bars, but now I need one to go on the flat bar section at the top, so it’s a different attachment. I have 2 Zefal spy mirrors on the Cruzbike, I may do the same here. They are a little smaller and since the aero bars are further away, they may not be good enough. I will test tomorrow hopefully.
More to follow!